Want to REALLY Thrive? Befriend books.
I am an avid reader, often reading 3-5 books at once. And I still read the physical copy. There is something sensual about the look, feel, smell, and touch that is important in the transmission of the message.
Over the years I have suggested countless books in my work with clients, leading workshops, and over dinner with family and friends. And for years people have been asking me to suggest a reading list!!
I feel reading is (including audio books) is an important part of success in life.
Why? Books are teachers/mentors -- they are written by people. As role models for our children, I also feel gifting our children with books to read such as the ones listed below, prepare them for life.
While there are so many wonderful books I have read, this list I have created is a powerful starting point. As with most things in life...we must take the first step on the journey and realize it will lead us to the next step. As you peruse the list some titles may be familiar, others maybe not.
My suggestion is to choose the one book which speaks the most to you. Start there and see what happens. I will say when I like a book I often keep that author in mind for future. Also, I tend to read a variety of books at once. Meaning, if I am reading 3 books, one might be spiritual, another business, and yet another pure pleasure. The variety of books I read support my desire to be agile, open, and balanced...living a whole-listic life.
Here's the List (not in order of preference by the way):
1. The Bhagavad Gita by Eknath Easwaran ... Ahhh...the universal curriculum
2. The Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav ... Indeed...understanding personality + soul
3. Dear Lover by David Deida ... Game changer...about all things sensual, sacred, sex
4. The Wisdom of Yoga by Stephen Cope ... Yum...a guide to extraordinary living
5. The Serving Leader by Ken Jennings/John Stahl-Wert ... Powerful actions to transform business, team, community
6. The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die by John Izzo ... Enough said
7. Untethered Soul by Michael Singer ... The real deal, simply stated, on how to live
8. The Tao of Leadership: Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching Adapted for a New Age by John Heider ... Practical wisdom for how to be the best leader, however it is you lead
9. Zen In the Martial Arts by John Hyams ... Life changing Zen principles for mastering discipline in your life
10. Reclaiming Joy by Stephanie Filardi ... The culmination of my 40 years seeking, reading, living into a 4 step curriculum for living happy, healthy...free
Interested in a book group/discussion on any of the above? Awesome! Contact Me Here.